President Donald Trump is targeting two of Wisconsin's biggest and bluest counties as he pursues a partial recount of the state that played a crucial role in vaulting him to the White House four years ago and denying him this year. With his 2016 win decided by less than 1 percentage point, he repeatedly denounced a recount pursued in Wisconsin and elsewhere as a "scam." But this time, with the outcome reversed, his campaign has embraced a re-tallying of the votes in this key battleground state. Chief among his campaign's complaints is the repeated and unsubstantiated claim of "irregularities" in the absentee voting process, though Trump operatives haven't provided evidence and elections officials have said they haven't heard about issues surrounding how the election was conducted. The Trump campaign's decision to focus on Dane and Milwaukee counties is notable; the two play a crucial role in any Democrat's statewide election bid given their populations and heavily blue nature.
Michigan: What the affidavits to stop Detroit ballot count claimed, and how they were rebutted | Mark Hicks/The Detroit News
When Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, focused Thursday on the recent lawsuit by Detroit poll challengers who sought to stop the canvassing of Wayne County election results, he pointed to the affidavits made public in the case. Those eight filings in the Costantino v. Detroit lawsuit included claims that targeted alleged restrictions on poll challengers, late-arriving absentee ballots and clerk's office workers who encouraged early voters to cast their ballots for Democratic President-elect Joe Biden and Democrats. Giuliani's claims Thursday joined a series of attempts by President Trump's supporters to discount Biden's win in Michigan and undermine the election of Joseph Biden Jr. as president. A Wayne County judge last week denied the request, finding many of the claims without merit following rebuttals from city officials. The city of Detroit has denied the allegations in the case and said they are proof the plaintiffs "do not understand absent voter ballot processing and tabulating." "It is clear also that they did not operate through the leadership of their challenger party, because the issues they bring forward were by and large discussed and resolved with the leadership of their challenger party," according to an affidavit by Chris Thomas, a retired 36-year elections director for Michigan under both Republican and Democratic secretaries of state.
Full Article: What the affidavits to stop Detroit ballot count claimed, and how they were rebutted
