President Donald Trump’s arsenal for overturning the election will soon be down to one final, desperate maneuver: pressing his Republican allies on Capitol Hill to step in and derail Joe Biden’s presidency. Although the Electoral College casts the official vote for president on Dec. 14, it’s up to Congress to certify the results a few weeks later. And federal law gives individual members of the House and Senate the power to challenge the results from the floor — a rarely used mechanism meant to be the last of all last resorts to safeguard an election. But several House Republican lawmakers and aides now tell POLITICO they’re considering this option to aid Trump’s quest. “Nothing is off the table,” said Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.). Gaetz pointed out that in January 2017, a handful of House Democrats took this precise procedural step before their efforts flamed out during a joint session of Congress presided over by none other than Biden, then the outgoing vice president. “It is over,” Biden said at the time, gaveling down Democrats as Republicans cheered. This time, Vice President Mike Pence will be in the chair for any potential challenges — a potentially awkward scenario as his boss continues to deny the reality of the election he lost.
Georgia: Pro-Trump election lawsuit may ‘significantly hinder’ preparations for Senate runoffs, state says | Olivia Rubin and Matthew Mosk/ABC
Election officials in Georgia say a federal judge’s recent order to preserve voting machines at the request of attorney Sidney Powell, an ally of President Donald Trump, has the potential to “significantly hinder” their preparations for rapidly-approaching runoff elections that will determine control of the Senate. Powell is the lead lawyer on a number of federal lawsuits arguing that President Trump’s election loss should be reversed — alleging a widespread conspiracy that includes a false claim that voting machines were rigged to flip votes from Trump to Democrat Joe Biden. Last week, Judge Timothy C. Batten, Sr., a Bush appointee, blocked the state from “altering, destroying, or erasing” any software or data on the voting machines that were used to tabulate presidential votes in three Georgia counties. The temporary hold is in place until the court can hear arguments on Powell’s demand to inspect the machines. State election officials submitted a new filing Thursday asking the judge to modify or dissolve the order so they can start preparing the machines for the highly-anticipated Senate runoff elections that are just a month away.
Full Article: Pro-Trump election lawsuit may ‘significantly hinder’ preparations for Georgia Senate runoffs, state says – ABC News
