The Constitutional Court’s (MK) panel of justices silenced the camp of the losing Prabowo Subianto-Hatta Rajasa presidential ticket during a hearing on Tuesday. MK chief Hamdan Zoelva reprimanded one of witnesses presented by the Prabowo-Hatta camp for presenting inaccurate data related to accusations of vote-rigging. The incident began when Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) advocate team secretary Yanuar Arif Wibowo, a witness in the case, claimed that the legal team had identified instances of vote-rigging in 48,164 polling stations. He said the fraud could have affected as many as 20.5 million voters. “This is very significant in affecting the election results,” Yanuar said before Hamdan at the court on Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat in Central Jakarta on Tuesday. He alleged that of the total 48,164 polling stations, 46,013 had C1 recapitulation forms indicating election organizers had tampered with the data.
Indonesian presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto said on Sunday he will not accept the election result due to be announced in coming days, accusing the Elections Commission of not properly investigating alleged cheating at the polls. The Elections Commission is due to announce on Tuesday the winner of Indonesia’s closest presidential election ever. A protracted wrangle over the result could begin to undermine confidence in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy which has seen strong investment, particularly in its extensive natural resources, in recent years. Monitoring of ballot counts by private groups last week, and quick counts shortly after the July 9 election by reputable pollsters, showed Prabowo’s rival, Jakarta Governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo was set to win.
Indonesia’s young democracy faces its biggest challenge since emerging from decades of autocratic rule 16 years ago after both candidates claimed victory in last week’s presidential election. It will be up to two key institutions, both with bruised reputations, to decide which of the two men who contested the July 9 poll has the right to move into the white-pillared presidential palace in central Jakarta and lead the world’s third biggest democracy for the next five years. The first will be the Elections Commission, hit by graft charges in the past, and which is now in the process of checking the vote count before it announces the final result by July 22.
Candidates for Jakarta governor signed an agreement at the city police headquarters on Wednesday, pledging to keep the city secure and peaceful all through the election process. Despite the ongoing controversy surrounding the voters’ list, which may result in the election’s postponement, the candidates chatted with each other and waved to media people during the signing ceremony. Apart from committing to support an honest and fair election, other points in the pledge include the readiness of the six pairs of candidates to accept the election’s results, ability to control supporters and willingness to face the law if found to have violated the law.
The Jakarta General Elections Commission (KPU Jakarta) is planning to hold a meeting on Wednesday on campaign mechanisms for the upcoming gubernatorial election. KPU Jakarta will meet with representatives of the campaign teams of all six candidate pairs at its office on Jl. Budi Kemuliaan in Central Jakarta. Suhartono, the poll-body head for campaigning affairs, said on Tuesday that the meeting aimed to ensure that each campaign team understood the campaign regulations and to prevent clashes between the teams on illegal campaigning or smear tactics. “We want them to understand what can be done and when to do it, and also what they cannot do,” Suhartono said. The meeting would also discuss campaign schedules during the two-week campaign period, which will start on June 24. “We will set dates so that each candidate pairs get an equal amount of time. Places for campaign activities involving large crowds will also be scheduled to maintain security and public order.”