Venezuela’s Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled out a recount of a disputed presidential vote won by the late Hugo Chavez’s political heir Nicolas Maduro, upping the pressure on his rival to concede. Tensions have been rising in Venezuela since Sunday’s contest to replace Chavez, who died last month aged 58 after a long battle with cancer. Maduro was named the winner, narrowly defeating opposition leader Henrique Capriles. Eight people were killed and dozens more injured in post-election violence in the oil-rich South American country on Monday — mainly in big cities, where Capriles did well. Each side has accused the other of stoking violence.
While most of Latin America has welcomed Maduro’s election win, the United States — long a Chavez target — has yet to recognize the president-elect, a fact quickly dismissed by Maduro as unimportant.
Chief Justice Luisa Estela Morales said that legally “there does not exist” in Venezuela the kind of vote-by-vote recount demanded by Capriles since the system is computerized. Capriles won 49.1 percent to Maduro’s 50.8 percent.
“When you go around demanding something which is impossible, demanding a manual recount… without a doubt what you are doing is inciting endless street fighting. And people should be held responsible for that,” said Morales.
Full Article: AFP: Venezuela rules out recount after vote, deadly demos.