Maine’s top election official vowed Monday to continue his legal fight for records from the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity on which he served. A judge previously ruled that Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap, a Democrat, was entitled to the documents, but the commission rejected his request after President Donald Trump disbanded the panel last week. Dunlap, who accused the panel of operating under a cloak of secrecy, said he was especially concerned by White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ comment that the commission’s preliminary findings were being forwarded to the Department of Homeland Security, which will take over the work. He said he was unaware of any “preliminary findings.”
“Somebody’s been working on something, but we don’t know what it is,” Dunlap told The Associated Press. “If there’s something going on, it’s definitely going on behind the scenes, and out of view of the commissioners.”
The commission’s vice chairman, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, didn’t immediately return messages seeking comment.
… Dunlap believes his legal action may have contributed to the demise of the commission, but that didn’t ease his anger over the commission’s refusal to provide the records that he sought. His attorneys are preparing to return to court continue to pursue the documents, he said.