Guinea President Alpha Conde has won a second term, the election commission announced Saturday, avoiding a runoff with his closest rival, who vowed to protest the results. “I proclaim that Alpha Conde has been elected president of the republic in the first round,” election commission head Bakary Fofana said Saturday night. Conde received nearly 58 percent of the Oct. 11 vote, while his main opponent, Cellou Dalein Diallo, had 31 percent, Fofana said. About 68 percent of the approximately 6 million registered voters took part in the Oct. 11 election, Fofana said. It was only the second democratic presidential contest since Guinea gained independence from France in 1958. Violence marked the run-up to the poll, with at least three people killed, and many worry that street protests in the coming days could lead to deadly confrontations with security forces.
At least seven people were killed in election-related violence in 2010 — when Conde defeated Diallo in a runoff — and some 50 people died in the run-up to Guinea’s 2013 legislative elections, according to Human Rights Watch.
Earlier this week, Diallo and fellow opposition candidate Sidya Toure — who placed third in 2010 — alleged fraud and said they would not recognize the results.
Full Article: Guinea president wins second term, opponent vows to protest.