Guinea’s president has dismissed accusations of fraud in last month’s legislative polls, calling them “political rhetoric.” President Alpha Conde also said he will not allow any group to destabilize the country. The president commented Tuesday through his spokesperson, Rachid Nadiye. Nadiye said in an interview with VOA that Conde had urged opposition leaders to seek legal action and have their election grievances addressed in court. The September 28 polling was intended to complete a political transition in Guinea that began with the democratic election of Conde in 2010.
Partial results, released last week, indicated the president’s Rally of the Guinean People party had taken a lead in several districts.
The opposition, however, rejected those results and called for the annulment of the elections. The parties threatened mass protests if the results were not invalidated.
The opposition said the polling was marred by “massive fraud,” which included ballot stuffing and substitutions of vote counts.
Full Article: Guinea’s President Dismisses Election Fraud Allegations.