Ten by-election candidates in Bahrain have received threats from anonymous election boycotters, according to human rights group here. The Bahrain Human Rights Watch Society said that candidates received threats through emails, text messages and mails demanding them to withdraw from election.
Six opposition societies, including Al Wefaq National Islamic Society have decided to boycott election, while there is also a media campaign ‘0%’ launched recently through social media calling upon people in Bahrain to keep the voting boxes empty by not casting their votes.
“We are not against religious figures or any opposition groups which are going to boycott election, but as their rights are protected the rights of others who want to participate should be protected too,” the General Secretary of the society, Faisal Fulad, said on Sunday.
He said that some candidates had already withdrawn from the race after receiving threats, as the society knew at least four such candidates.
The society would refer such cases to the Ministry of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Endowment for being the official body overseeing elections.
Full Article: Poll candidates in Bahrain receive threats.