Opposition leaders in Guinea on Tuesday called for a suspension of protests after gunfire erupted in several neighbourhoods in the capital, Conakry, as hundreds of supporters clashed with security forces for a second day running. Protests over the timing of elections would be suspended until next week, a spokesman for the opposition said. Government spokesman Damantang Albert Camara said one person died on Tuesday after falling into a ravine during violence. The government had earlier said about 10 people were injured, including one with bullet wounds.
At least six people were hit by bullets on Monday. The government has denied security forces shot at protesters and called for an investigation. Medical sources and rights group Amnesty International said one man was killed during Monday’s clashes.
Opposition parties have called for protests in order to pressure the government to hold local elections ahead of a presidential vote, as laid out in a 2013 agreement between Guinea’s rival political factions.
The government does not recognise the clause on the order of voting and has set the presidential election for Oct. 11, with the local election due early next year.