The opposition party in the Republic of Guinea has said that is has agreed to suspend several days of protest over delayed legislative elections for the United Nations-mediate talks which will aim at ending the political deadlock regarding legislative elections in the country. Officials said last week that at least 20 people have been killed and more than 300 others wounded in clashes since March between opposition supporters, security forces and President Alpha Conde’s supporters in the capital Conakry. The opposition has accused President Alpha Conde of trying to manipulate the election process for his party to win the majority in parliament but the government has strongly denied the allegation.
Former Prime Minister and now a prominent opposition leader Sidya Toure confirmed to reporters that they have suspended their protest for the intervention of the United Nations.
“We have decided to postpone our protest to enable the United Nations to take over the process and give dialogue a chance,” Mr. Toure said.
“We are giving Said Djinnit (U.N. special representative in the region), one week for the mediation. We are showing good faith,” he added.
The opposition has said that president Alpha Conde did not consulted them before announcing the date of the delayed legislative elections and called for its supporters to protest until the president backs down and calls off the slated June 30 elections this year.