Guinea’s opposition candidates said Tuesday they would participate in the first round of the October 11 presidential election, while cautioning that “dysfunctional” aspects of the voting process must be addressed. The country’s main opposition had called Thursday for the vote to be postponed until later in October to allow the election commission time to correct “anomalies” in the electoral roll. Clashes between supporters of Guinea’s ruling party and opposition activists left at least one dead and more than 80 wounded last week, as tension mounted ahead of the presidential election.
But with five days to go, Aliou Conde, a representative of opposition presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, told a press conference: “We are not going to boycott the election with all the commitments we have made. What we hope for are free and transparent elections, and above all credible so that the results will be accepted by everyone.”
Conde added he was speaking on behalf of all seven opposition candidates competing against President Alpha Conde, who is hoping to win a second term in power following his 2010 election.