Ohio: No voters will be purged before November election, secretary of state says | Cleveland Plain Dealer

Monday’s Supreme Court decision upholding Ohio’s process of canceling certain voter registrations won’t affect elections held in August and November this year. No voters will be removed as a result of failing to vote for several years, Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted’s office confirmed Tuesday. Ohio’s 88 county board of elections were directed on Monday to not take any action to use the state’s “supplemental process” for removing voters from the rolls ahead of the November election. The supplemental process allows elections officials to cancel registrations if a voter has not cast a ballot in two years and then fails to vote or respond to a notice within the following four years.

The National Voter Registration Act prohibits cancellations within 90 days of a federal election. A special election for Ohio’s 12th Congressional District will be held Aug. 7, so cancellations can’t resume now, nor could they on Aug. 8, which is within 90 days of the Nov. 6 election.

Husted’s office had no further details Tuesday about when boards could begin the cancellation process again.

Cancellations had been on hold pending the outcome of the case Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute. Boards of election were instructed to count ballots from voters who had previously been removed because of the supplemental process. About 7,500 such voters cast ballots in the 2016 presidential election.

Full Article: No Ohio voters will be purged before November election, secretary of state says | cleveland.com.

Comments are closed.