Guinea’s main opposition leader on Thursday threatened to call supporters onto the streets if authorities push ahead with a parliamentary election due on Tuesday without fully addressing complaints over preparations. Cellou Dalein Diallo, leader of the largest opposition party and arch rival of President Alpha Conde, said it would be impossible to fix problems linked to voter lists and polling stations on time so a delay of a few weeks was needed. The poll, meant to cap Guinea’s transition back to civilian rule, has been repeatedly delayed since Conde was elected three years ago, sowing doubts amongst Guineans, investors and donors over political progress in the world’s top bauxite exporter. Dozens of people were killed in protests during months of wrangling over the election earlier this year.
A U.N.-brokered deal in July looked to have broken the deadlock but Diallo said the election commission had not fixed problems with the election list and the positioning of polling stations that both risked undermining the opposition vote.
“We know it is impossible for the corrections to be made before the 24th. We will demand they are done before we hold an election,” Diallo told Reuters in the garden of his seaside villa.
“We will prevent them from forcing (the election) through. This country belongs to us all,” he added. “We will restart demonstrations on Monday if necessary to demand that … citizens’ rights to take part in the election are respected.”