Indonesia’s top court on Thursday rejected an appeal by the losing candidate in last month’s presidential election over alleged voting irregularities, removing any uncertainty around the victory of Jakarta Gov. Joko Widodo. Prabowo Subianto, a former general with links to the regime of ex-dictator Suharto, had alleged massive fraud in the July 9 polls and filed a complaint in the Constitutional Court. He presented evidence and witness testimony for his claim, but all nine judges at the court ruled it was groundless. “The ruling is final and binding, but does not necessarily reflect truth or justice,” Tantowi Yahya, a spokesman for a coalition of political parties supporting Subianto, told a news conference. The verdict means that Widodo, a former furniture exporter who stands out among Indonesia’s political elite for his humble upbringing and lifestyle, can press ahead with preparing to take over the government of the world’s fourth most populous nation, a regional economic powerhouse. A supporter of losing presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto wears a T-shirt with writing reading “Prabowo President” during a protest near the Constitutional Court in Jakarta, Indonesia, Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014. Indonesian police fired tear gas Thursday to disperse protesters trying to get close to the court set to rule on a challenge to the legality of last month’s elections. (Dita Alangkara/Associated Press) Widodo, widely known by the nickname Jokowi, will be sworn in on Oct. 20. “We very much appreciate the Constitutional Court which has done its duties openly, transparency and professionally,” he told a news conference. The court’s decision had been widely expected given the flimsy evidence presented at the court by the Subianto camp and the number of election votes needed to be overturned to ensure victory. The verdict cannot be appealed. Full Article: Indonesian court rejects election loser’s appeal – The Washington Post.