Prominent Likud lawmaker launches appeal even as Netanyahu is due to present his list of Knesset contenders. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to present his Likud party’s list of contenders for the March elections on Monday, amid allegations that the final tallies of last week’s party primaries were erroneous. A recount of the votes from 15 polling stations, the results of which were published Sunday, did, indeed, find mistakes, but party officials said they were marginal and did not affect the overall outcome. However, Knesset Member Tzipi Hotovely, one of only three women contending for Likud seats in the next Knesset, discounted the recount results and warned that she may go to court to demand a wider recount.
“I intend to go all the way,” Hotovely, who is the deputy minister of transportation, told the Maariv online web site. She said she was petitioning the Likud court and if necessary would appeal to the district court.
Hotovely, who placed 10th in the previous Likud primaries in 2012, came in 26th – an unrealistic slot given that polls show Likud getting 24 seats in the next Knesset.
“I am in touch with several lawyers,” she said. “I don’t accept the explanation that there were a few typing mistakes in feeding the votes into the computer. I think we’re talking about a Pandora’s Box because we don’t know how many additional mistakes there were that went undetected.”