Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai yesterday met officials from the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission and the Registrar-General’s Office but failed to set up a new date for the commencement of mobile voter registration with no indication of when Treasury would release money for the exercise. At least US$21 million is required to conduct the exercise that was expected to begin last Thursday but failed to take off due to lack of funds. Addressing journalists after the meeting at the Prime Minister’s Charter House Office, ZEC acting chairperson Mrs Joyce Kazembe said her organisation was ready to start the registration any time if funds were made available.
“We are waiting for money and we are ready to roll, if the money comes we are ready to act.
“We have been told that the money is there but we don’t know what is delaying its release,” she said.
She said Treasury had also not disbursed the US$1 million meant for publicity ahead of the exercise.
Finance Minister Tendai Biti last week said Government would release the money for ZEC to kick-start its awareness campaigns
Full Article: Tsvangirai meets Electoral Commission.