Oregon’s secretary of state’s website was fully back in business Monday after “an unauthorized intrusion” earlier this month, according to the agency. But in a statement, the secretary of state’s office warned that while all systems were working again, some applications may need to be taken down temporarily to fix any bugs. “I appreciate the enormous patience that Oregonians have demonstrated during the website outage,” said Secretary Kate Brown in a statement. “I’d also like to thank everyone in this office who worked incredibly long hours to restore these important services as quickly and securely as possible.”
When the intrusion was discovered Feb. 4, the agency shut down the state’s online business registry and campaign finance records. The state said the hackers didn’t get access to the central voter registration database and that bank account information was encrypted; however, users were still advised to monitor their credit and identity.
The agency said that for security reasons all passwords for the Central Business Registry (CBR) and ORESTAR, the online campaign finance reporting system, were reset and that users will need to create new ones. Also, they urged people who used the same passwords for other services to change them as well.