The son of former Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos on Monday took a step towards securing a recount of votes in an election for vice president last year in which he says he was unfairly robbed of victory. The son, also called Ferdinand Marcos but popularly known as Bongbong, lost the election for vice president last May to social activist and lawyer Leni Robredo by about 260,000 votes. He has objected to the result ever since and the Supreme Court ruled in February that his protest was valid, but he has to pay for a recount of the votes.
On Monday, he deposited about 36 million pesos ($728,500) as payment for a recount of votes in 42 percent of polling precincts.
“It’s good I have kind-hearted friends. They believe in my election protest because it is right, just and fair,” Marcos told reporters after signing a check.