The head of Libya’s election commission and two of its members resigned on Sunday, state media reported, a day after it released initial results of a vote for the country’s constitutional panel amid violence and boycotts. Nuri Al Abari, the head of the commission, did not say why he resigned, although it appeared to be out of concern over Libya’s volatile political situation and tension over the election. Later in the day, armed protesters stormed the parliament building while lawmakers were in session, trashing furniture, burning the speaker’s chair and beating at least three lawmakers, deputy speaker Hussain Al Ansari said. The February vote for the 60-member constitutional panel was marred by violence, with several voting stations coming under attack and security forces failing to secure others.
The commission said late on Saturday that only 47 of the seats were filled, with 13 left empty because voting had been disrupted or protesting minority groups boycotted the vote. The commission had earlier said that around half a million of the country’s 1.1 million voters cast their ballots.
Al Abari’s deputy Emad Al Sayeh, who also resigned, said the move would open the road for younger generations. It is not clear whether the parliament will accept the resignations. The result of the vote is to be finalised after a 12-day period for complaints and review. It is also not clear what the parliament will do to fill the 13 empty seats.
Full Article: Head of Libya election commission resigns | GulfNews.com.