The filling period is about to begin for major political party candidates interested in running in Nevada’s special election for the 2nd Congressional District seat. But filing doesn’t guarantee a spot on the Sept. 13 ballot, because that decision remains with the Nevada Supreme Court. Secretary of State Ross Miller said declarations of candidacy will be accepted beginning Wednesday through June 30.
Miller and the Democratic Party filed notices Tuesday with the Nevada Supreme Court challenging a lower court that ruled the Republican and Democratic central committees should choose their party nominee. The Supreme Court has agreed to expedite the case.
The secretary of state earlier said the special election would be a “ballot royale,” open to anyone interested in the seat with the winner being whoever gets the most votes.
But the Republican Party sued, arguing major political parties should be able to pick their candidates, as they do when primaries are held to elect a nominee. The Democratic Party sided with the secretary of state.
Last week, 1st Judicial District Judge James Russell in Carson City agreed with the GOP. In a written order issued Monday, Russell called Miller’s interpretation of the law “unreasonable and absurd.”